Introduction to Fishery Science Course:
Fishery science is interdisciplinary course which involves oceanography, ecology, biology, economics and management. India has a vast coastline of around 8,000 kilometers spreading around 10 states which makes it a excellent hub of fishery sciences study. Fisheries faculty conduct research such as populations and communities of aquatic resources, their responses to exploitation, and changes in environmental conditions, and their management.
After completion of the post graduation one can find jobs in the fields of fish genetics and biotechnology .You need to have good knowledge in biological, physical, and social sciences to take up this course. This industry involves catching, processing, conservation and marketing of fish.
Pass in 10+2(12TH grade) with at least 50% and Biology, Physics and Chemistry (Bi.P.C) as subjects. After the Bachelor’s degree you can opt for Master’s degree.
Colleges and Institutes offering Fishery Science Course in India:
These are the top colleges in India which provide a deep insight about Fishery Science Course:
- INDIAN AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE – [IARI], NEW DELHI
- TAMIL NADU AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY – [TNAU], COIMBATORE
- ACHARYA NG RANGA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY – [ANGRAU], HYDERABAD
- JAWAHARLAL NEHRU UNIVERSITY – [JNU], NEW DELHI
- CENTRAL INSTITUTE OF AGRICULTURAL ENGINEERING, BHOPAL
- PUNJAB AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY – [PAU], LUDHIANA
- ANBIL DHARMALINGAM AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE, THIRUCHIRAPALLI
- LOVELY PROFESSIONAL UNIVERSITY – [LPU], JALANDHAR
- INDIAN AGRICULTURAL STATISTICS RESEARCH INSTITUTE – [IASRI], NEW DELHI
- INDIAN VETERINARY RESEARCH INSTITUTE – [IVRI], BAREILLY
Future in India:
Aquaculture technology, industries based on fishing and research works are few of many options available to a fisheries science student. One can get job in central agencies like Marine Product export development authority, fisheries survey of India, NIO, WHO, FAO, NACA, NABARD, EIA.
BLS reported that employment in this sector would grow 5% from 2012-2022. Western countries like U.S.A provide for certain other job opportunities as well, they are Marine-Fisheries Interviewer, Environmental Project Manager, Information Technology Specialist, Eco-toxicologist or Aquatic Ecologist.