Introduction to B.D.S Course:
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S course) is a popular degree that deals with training and implanting the skills required to the candidates that would help them become good dental surgeon. In medical filed it’s the second choice after MBBS. In this course the students are taught about the denture, dental problems and surgery. The duration is about 4-5 years. Aspiring candidates learn about various forms of treatment including Surgical Procedures, Dental materials, Dental anatomy & Oral histology, Oral Pathology, Community Dentistry, Pedodontics, Oral Medicine & Radiology etc. which are some of the topics that are generally taught.
BDS course includes all topics related to dental science. Some of the main topics taught in this course are Health and disease, Behavioral consequences of oral diseases, Preventive dentistry, Clinical examination and diagnostic procedures, X-rays, Genetic engineering.
Pass in 10+2(12TH grade) with at least 50% and Biology, Physics and Chemistry (Bi.P.C) as subjects. After the Bachelor’s degree you can opt for Master’s degree.
Colleges and Institutes offering B.D.S Course in India:
These are the top colleges in India which provide B.D.S course
- Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences Delhi
- Manipal College of Dental Sciences Manipal
- Govt. Dental College & Hospital Mumbai
- Nair Hospital Dental Colleges Mumbai
- Faculty of Dental Sciences, CSMMU, Lucknow
- Government Dental College & Research Institute (GDCRI) Bangalore
- SDM College of Dental Sciences & Hospital Dharwad
- Bapuji Dental College & Hospital Davangere
- Post. Graduate Institute of Dental Sciences, Rohtak
- Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital Kolkata
Future in India:
Future in India: Numerous employment opportunities are available for dentists in hospitals, nursing homes, dental clinics and health departments. You can also seek a teaching job in any of the dental colleges spread across the country. You can also seek work in the research and advisory departments of pharmaceuticals. Opportunities are there in companies producing oral care products like toothpaste, mouth wash, and gum care products.
Europe has more requirement for dental specialists than any country, if you are expert in this filed then you have better future prospects here. There are even better opportunities available in USA and Australia also.